Jaw makes cracking sound on yawning, shooting jaw pain on biting food radiating to inner ear. Will anti-inflammatory cure dislocation?

A couple of weeks ago, my jaw made a cracking sound when I yawned. That was on the left side. Three weeks later I now have a meniscus disc dislocated on my left jaw which is the opposite jaw from the one that originally popped in the first place. I seen a TMJ specialist today and he told me that he could perform treatments on my jaw to get he inflammation down and provide me with a mouth piece that would allow my disc to go back into its normal position. It only bothers me whenever I go to clinch or bite down on food. Pain shoots up my jaw into my inner ear . My question is if I just rest my jaw and continue to take anti-flammatory medication will my disc go back into its normal place without treatment? What will happen if I don t get it treated? I m currently wearing a mouth piece all day and night and I keep rotating cold/hot packs to help with the pain and inflammation.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Using the mouth piece will hasten your recovery. Without the use of mouth piece, there are chances of a persistent displacement of the jaw thus causing a persistent pain and inflammation.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal