Itchy welts in arms and legs. Cream prescribed. Why the bites?

My husband and started getting these itchy welts on our arms and legs about 3 wks ago. They we really getting bad for my husband so we both went to the doc for answers. He right away said they looked like bug bites but we didn t own any pets. He prescribed cream for the itch. A few days went by and bumps were just getting worse, once again more so for my husband. He went to the doctors again where he/we were diagnosed with having poison ivy so the doc put both of us on steroids 12 days. During this time we went on vacation to Florida. The welts seemed to subside but the itches never went away. Now we are back home and the welts are just out of control more so on my husband once again. I almost tore the house apart from top to bottom washing everthing in sight. Found nothing that would lead me to believe they were bites of any kind. The strange thing is the bumps can pop up anywhere, don t have to be home. We need some advise as to what to do next. Please help us?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Sep 2012