Itchy vagina with fishy smell after intercourse, prescribed uvamin. Is the treatment right?

my left side stomach pain but not too much,one night my husband sleep with me,i felt embarasshed we smell fishy inside my vagina .what is this?and outside a little itch also.the obgyn said i have heavey impection,a eat uvamin tablet 100mg.,.just only 2 days from now i took.is this is ryt?pls, advice me i dnt have also any feelings of sex...tell me what i shall i do?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012
Hi there..

Firstly you should maintain proper hygiene and keep your genital area clean and dry.
Since you say you have discharge with itching and fishy smell , its likely to be due to bacterial vaginosis. But since you havent undergone any culture tests , so its better you take a syndromic approach for you treatment.
Usually genital infections are mixed so bacterial vaginosis can occur along with trichomoniasis and candidiasis.
So i suggest you take vaginal infection kits which are combined tabs to treat mixed infections for eg AF KIT which contains fluconazole (1 tab) 150 mg, azithromycin (1 tab) 1 g, ornidazole (2 tabs) 750mg.
Also your husband should take it so that both partners are treated simultaneously.
Besides you two should use condoms for the meantime so that the infection is properly treated.
Also get a proper STD work up both of you.
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sujjalaxmi Bharali's  Response
Hi
Uvamin 100mg is fine.
Alternatively since you have not got any tests done what we suggest are:
1. Tab metronidazole 500mg thrice daily for 5 days.
2. Candid B cream : local application thrice daily for 2 weeks.
In case of recurrent infection we suggest : Vaginal swab for culture and sensitivity.
You might also have to rule out any sexually transmitted disease.
With a proper culture and sensitivity test we can isolate the actual organism and treat accordingly.
Also equally important is proper hygiene : wash with a mild soap thrice daily. Keep the area dry.
Refrain from sexual activity for a while.
Thanks.