Itchy vagina, swollen lips with stinging pain, brown odd smelling discharge, on birth control. What is it and its cure?

It started about a week ago when my vagina began to itch . When I checked with a mirror, I saw that my inner lips were swollen red. Not only did it itch, but there was a slight pain to it as well. Almost like a stinging. When I urinate I feel fine, but every time something rubs against it, I get the urge to scratch . A couple of days from the start of the symptoms, the itch went down a bit, but the lips just as swollen. I ve also noticed a new brown, odd smelling discharge. I ve been on birth control for half a year now, and am sexually active. Any ideas as to what this is and how to treat it? Thanks. Age: 16 Medical History: Currently taking Tri-Sprintec Birth Control and Zoloft .
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012
hi thanks for writing to us.
with your history you seem to have genital infection
there are many organisms like chlamydia ,gonorrhoea,gardenella vaginalis,herpes,candidiasis which can cause infection
it is advised you avoid sexual intercourse and both partners should be tested for sexually transmitted infections.
though you are on birthcontrol pills is advisable to use condoms for protection against sexually transmitted infection
it is also better you get tested for diabetes detection and whether you are anaemic
you may need oral antibioticas and antifungal cream for local application
it is advisable your partener also need to be treated
hope this information was useful