Itchy sores on vagina with burning sensation. Layer of skin peeling off. Cause for symptoms during periods?

I m somewhat concerned that I might have an STI however it doesn t fit the symptoms of anything I ve read about. For the last several months there have been sores on the outside of my vagina however they do not look blisterish as is typical for most STI s they look more like chunks of skin have been scratched off in various places (although I have not scratched it). While they are there all the time I only experience discomfort the week before my period is due at which time in addition to the sores the area is red, itchy and burning. During this time I have noticed thin layers of skin peeling off which is, I believe, the causes the redness. As soon as I get my period the discomfort, redness and peeling ceases however the sores stay there and the discomfort and redness returns the following month. I do intend to go see a gynocologist about it however I m rather scared and would like to have a general idea of what it might be.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013