Itchy reddish swelling on the foot. Itching spreading to the ankle. Fungal or bacterial infection?

top of foot from pinky toe to second toe, 1.5"-2" diameter circular area, is itchy, mildly swollen, red, and feels bruised. I'm 29 yrs. Healthy, athletic and have no medical hx. At first I thought it's was just athletes foot, but the tenderness on top of my foot makes me wonder if it's not an infection. It also appears to progress towards my ankle, but hard to tell. A 1.5 weeks ago, the itchiness was isolated to just my pinky toe area, but then suddenly 3 days ago I realized it spread across to the second two and 2" towards my ankle. Any thoughts on if it's fungus or bacterial infection?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013