Itchy reddish eyes with swelling. Have sticky discharge. What is this?

Hey there, for the past couple of days my eyes have been red, with occasional itching. I also wake up with eye rheum that makes my eyelids and eyelashes stick together preventing me from opening my eyes. When I do manage to open my eyes with my fingers, my right eye usually is a bit swollen. Furthermore, I have used a q-tip instead of my fingers to try clean some of the rheum of discharge that usually occurs constantly throughout the day. However, when I rub the q-tip on the inside of my lower eyelid or around the eye, I notice that there is a liquid that has a sort of yellowish colour to it. Also, I sometimes get teary from it (and to be guilty sometimes rubbing too), with the tears giving me dry skin / stings around my face when it drips. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013