Itchy rashes on both sides of waist, scabbing, red patches of inflamed skin. Shingles?

Hi, My husband has a rash on both sides of his waist that comes and goes and is very itchy. It is not extremely painful as others describe Shingles to be. It does dry up and scab, and then disappears but while he has it, it can be very itchy. He has used Eucerin and it helps get rid of it. I am concerned that it is Shingles and that he will give it to me or my 16 month old daughter. The rash does NOT have blisters, it is just red patches of inflamed skin. Do you think this is a mild form of Shingles?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013