Itchy palms and soles, reddish brown spots, excessive peeling, on Doryx for acne, history of unprotected sex. What could be the cause?

A couple of weeks ago the palms of my hands started getting very itchy. Then I started noticing very small reddish/ brownish spots on my hands, mostly on the palm side of my fingers, but a little on the palms as well. I also noticed the same spots on the heels of my feet and the bottom sides of my toes, though my feet were not itchy. The itch stopped after a couple of days, but the spots stayed for about a week. About a week after the spots disappeared, my skin started to peel, a little on my hands but a lot on my feet, especially on my toes. The peeling is not itchy. My hands have stopped peeling now, but my feet still look very bad. Shortly before all of this started, I began taking Doryx for acne . Could this be a reaction to the medication? Also about 6 weeks before it began I also had unprotected sex with a guy I was dating, so I have worried about the possibility of syphilis as well, even though I never noticed any other sores and I know that syphilis usually does not itch. Mine only itched in the very beginning, though, just as the spots were beginning to appear. Any ideas what this might be?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Sep 2012