Itchy, painful bump on top of head. Histroy of fall and short loss of consciousness. Reason?

I hit my head about 4 months ago after slipping in my kitchen. I was knocked out of it for a few minutes but regained consciousness quickly afterwards. I've had a bump on the top of my head ever since. It has gone down considerably from how it was, but it's still there. The lump is quite itchy, but when I go to scratch it, it becomes quite painful. Do you know what this could be?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description, the lump is likely to be due to scalp hematoma, which has been gradually resolving.

It can be confirmed by clinical examination and an ultrasound scan of the scalp.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email: