Itching in vagina, soreness during periods. Reason?

Hi,I have my period but around half way through it , I started to experience some discomfort in the area between my vaginal opening my clitoris & everything around it.. It feels the same way it would feel, if my tampon was not pushed all the way in, except the discomfort continued even after I removed the tampon. I still have it and probably will have it on for the remainder of my period and it doesn t stop itching inside my vagina. It doesn t necessarily hurt that much but it does begin to feel sore and uncomfortable. What do you recommend please ?
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012
Hello there.

There are two possibilities.

One is irritation and inflammation of the skin due to tampoon use. In periods, prolonged application of pads/tampoon can cause the skin to be inflamed and sore. This is more if you do not change the pads frequently.

The other possibility is a fungal infection. These occur more during menses due to pH changes of vagina. Also improper hygiene and constant wetness can predispose tho fungal infection. It usually presents with severe itching, curdy white discharge and redness, soreness of the vagina.

So kindly consult a gynecologist for a local examination and treatment.