Itching in the toe after getting the toe nail removed. Using antibiotic ointment. Itchy reddish swelling on the toe. Allergic reaction?

Good afternoon. I had my left big toenail removed last week and they treated it so that it will not grow back. I have been soaking it 2 times per day for 15 minutes in Epsom Salts (as instructed) and covering it with an antibiotic ointment and gauze bandages. It has been itching (excessively) for the last 4 or 5 day (since day 2 or 3 post removal.) Today, when I removed the bandage, my whole big toe it is itching horribly, red and white (where it is swollen), swollen to twice it s size and slightly warm (also where the swelling is located.) Could this be an allergic reaction to the gauze or antibiotic (pain relief) ointment? My Dr. mentioned calling in an antibiotic but it does not appear to have any signs of an infection.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Nov 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  74 Awaiting Answer