Itching in the genital area in the night. Tried antihistamines. No STD. What are the other chances?

Hi there, I ve had an incessant itch of my genital area for approaching 13 years now. It used to only occur when I was due my menstrual period, now it s all the time. It s not inside, it s the skin outside. I ve tried every cream you can imagine, changed to cotton undies, changed my detergent, even been on a course of antihysthamines for the last 5 months to no avail. It affects my sleep badly. I don t have that much of a problem during the day although I sit at a desk and it does get a bit annoying; night time is the worst and it seems to be getting worse - my skin is basically raw and sore and itch only subsides for maybe an hour if I apply petroleum jelly - not very practical. I m very embarrassed to see my GP. The last smear I had they swabbed me for infection or std - all clear. HELP!
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Thank you for asking HCM
I have gone through your query.Your problem is most likely recurrent yeast infection and dryness.For such cases i advise combination of antifungal like clotrimazole with betamethasone. I also advise to take fluconazole tab weekly once for 1 month to stop recurrence. Avoidance of irritants like soap is advised.Use warm water for cleaning.Using of intimate wash regularly can normalize you vaginal bacterial flora and PH.If after this dryness is there then i advise moisturizers which contain Liquid paraffin.Hope this may help you.
Let me know if you have any further query.
General & Family Physician Dr. Nishad BN's  Response
thank you for asking HCM
I have gone through your query. Your problem is most likely yeast infection and dryness. For my patients with such cases i advice antifungal ointments like terbinafine or clotrimazole with combination of steroids like betamethasone for local application. I also advise to avoid irritants like soap. Cleaning the area can be done by using warm water. I recommend my patients to use intimate wash regularly which normalizes vaginal bacterial flora and PH. Those who are having persistent dryness i advise moisturisers like liquid paraffin. Hope this may help you.
Let me know if you have any further queries.