Itching, burning, pain on rib cage, chest, gas, on diabetic medication. Cure?

I am a 52 years old male. I have in the past two weeks picked up a really bad itching / burning&pain that comes from my back up and along the left rib cage and ends just about the center of my chest. I also had a lot of gas in my tummy. I am on diabetes medication. 500mg glocopage two times a day. My sugar levels are maintaining between 5-6.
This itch problem went for a few days and I consulted a GP who treated as follows:

1)     Checked for shingles – nothing
2)     Checked for vitamin b12 deficiency – waiting on blood tests
3)     Physical check showed some tenderness on the inside of the ribs on left side
4)     Gave medication for the tummy problem. I stopped using the acid reducing medication. (Febuxostat 40m)

Two weeks later the itch still persists.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013