Itching and redness around scabs after spinal surgery. How to get rid of it?

I had spinal surgery and 1/2 of my incision has healed nicely. The remaining incision has scabs on it and there is itchy redness around those scabs. I ve tried antibiotic ointment & a benedryl tablet and it cleared up a good portion of the redness. The surgeon said to try a cortisone cream which stops the itching but it hasn t cleared up the redness. My daughter said the incision and scabs look normal, no infection that she can see, but the itching and redness bothers me. I just want to make sure it is normal.
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012

It seems that you might have irritant contact dermatitis due to some local application like betadine or some other which you have not mentioned.

There may be mild bacterial infection also.

Take antihistaminic like levocetirizine till itching is relieved.

Take oral antibiotics.

Apply antibiotic like sisomycine.

I think you may get good result in few days. However, you may cosult nearby dermatologist.

I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD