Itchiness in face and body. Why are knuckles inflamed? Benedryl of no help. What will help?

hello. for the past two weeks I have been suffering itchiness. at first my face itched, then my face and body. now, i am itchy around my nose and eyes...very itchy and there is some redness around my right eye (could be from me scratching ). I also have a red rash on my right hand and on both elbows that is kind of dry, red and itchy as well. I noticed today along with the other symptom already mentioned that my knuckles seem to be inflammed and they are itchy as well. Some of my knuckles feel as though there is a hard nodule in them. it is the strangest thing. I am miserable with this general itchiness and benedryl does not help at all. I did have a procedure in the hospital 2 weeks ago. (a D&C and a biopsy for cervical stenosis ...which all tests came back clear. ) Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but wanted to at least mention it. thanks!!!
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012