Is thyroidectomy advisable during pregnancy and what would be its effects on the fetus ?

I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid 5 months ago, i was put on carbimazol but still that did not control my thyroid. I am scheduled to have a total thyrodectomy next month. I founf out that i am pregnant, i am so worried because i do not know what to do? Can i keep the baby if i still have the operation next month, would i be allowed the operation? Would the baby be born with any defects and what health issues would i face? Is there any danger of aborting the baby to my health before i have the operation?
Asked On : Thu, 16 Feb 2012