Is this healthy or dangerous ?

I am almost 12 years old(next thursday) and i still have not gotten my period.Is this normal? I have been asking my mom and she kepps saying that it will come when it is ready to come. Is she right about saying that?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
YES deffinitely shes right. What is menstruation? Menstruation is a woman's monthly bleeding. It is also called menses, menstrual period, or period. When a woman has her period, she is menstruating. The menstrual blood is partly blood and partly tissue from the inside of the uterus (womb). It flows from the uterus through the small opening in the cervix, and passes out of the body through the vagina. Most menstrual periods last from three to five days. What is the menstrual cycle? Menstruation is part of the menstrual cycle, which helps a woman's body prepare for the possibility of pregnancy each month. A cycle starts on the first day of a period. The average menstrual cycle is 28 days long. However, a cycle can range anywhere from 23 days to 35 days. The parts of the body involved in the menstrual cycle include the brain, pituitary gland, uterus and cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and vagina. Body chemicals called hormones rise and fall during the month and make the menstrual cycle happen. The ovaries make two important female hormones, estrogen and progesterone. Other hormones involved in the menstrual cycle include follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH), made by the pituitary gland. What happens during the menstrual cycle? In the first half of the menstrual cycle, levels of estrogen rise and make the lining of the uterus grow and thicken. In response to follicle-stimulating hormone, an egg (ovum) in one of the ovaries starts to mature. At about day 14 of a typical 28-day cycle, in response to a surge of luteinizing hormone, the egg leaves the ovary. This is called ovulation. In the second half of the menstrual cycle, the egg begins to travel through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Progesterone levels rise and help prepare the uterine lining for pregnancy. If the egg becomes fertilized by a sperm cell and attaches itself to the uterine wall, the woman becomes pregnant. If the egg is not fertilized, it either dissolves or is absorbed into the body. If pregnancy does not occur, estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and the thickened lining of the uterus is shed during the menstrual period. At what age does a girl get her first period? Menarche is another name for the beginning of menstruation. In the United States, the average age a girl starts menstruating is 12. However, this does not mean that all girls start at the same age. A girl can begin menstruating anytime between the ages of 8 and 16. Menstruation will not occur until all parts of a girl's reproductive system have matured and are working together. How long does a woman have periods? Women usually continue having periods until menopause. Menopause occurs around the age of 51, on average. Menopause means that a woman is no longer ovulating (producing eggs) and therefore can no longer become pregnant. Like menstruation, menopause can vary from woman to woman and may take several years to occur. Some women have early menopause because of surgery or other treatment, illness, or other reasons. When should I see a health care provider about my period? You should consult your health care provider for the following: If you have not started menstruating by the age of 16. If your period has suddenly stopped. If you are bleeding for more days than usual. If you are bleeding excessively. If you suddenly feel sick after using tampons. If you bleed between periods (more than just a few drops). If you have severe pain during your period. How often should I change my pad/tampon? Sanitary napkins (pads) should be changed as often as necessary, before the pad is soaked with menstrual flow. Each woman decides for herself what is comfortable. Tampons should be changed often (at least every 4-8 hours). Make sure that you use the lowest absorbency of tampon needed for your flow. For example, do not use super absorbency on the lightest day of your period. This can put you at risk for toxic shock syndrome (TSS). TSS is a rare but potentially deadly disease. Women under 30, especially teenagers, are at a higher risk for TSS. Using any kind of tampon - cotton or rayon of any absorbency - puts a woman at greater risk for TSS than using menstrual pads. The risk of TSS can be lessened or avoided by not using tampons, or by alternating between tampons and pads during your period. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends the following tips to help avoid tampon problems: Follow package directions for insertion. Choose the lowest absorbency for your flow. Change your tampon at least every 4 to 8 hours. Consider alternating pads with tampons. Know the warning signs of toxic shock syndrome (see below). Don't use tampons between periods. If you experience any of the following symptoms while you are menstruating and using tampons, you should contact your health care provider immediately: High fever that appears suddenly Muscle aches Diarrhea Dizziness and/or fainting Sunburn-like rash Sore throat Bloodshot eyes take care and god bless!
  Anonymous's Response
hi im 17 i didnt start my perid until a month before my 16th bday and a friend of mine just started hers a month ago and she will be 18 in sept we were also very worried that sumthin was wrong but it does eventually come . . .but trust me when it does it wont b fun at all so b greatful for everyday you dont have it
Hi, sweetie, as a mom of 3 teenage girls, I can tell you that your mom is absolutely right. I know that many of your friends have started their periods already, but there will be others that don't start until they are 15 or so. In this area, 'normal' has a wide range and you are right smack-dab in the middle of normal!