Is there any way to detect the type of discectomy on looking the incision size?

I had disectomy and laminotomy surgery on L5-S1 for large disc herniation and foraminotomy on L4-S1 for sciatica down both legs into feet . I had a fall in 2003 and had been suffering so I had this surgery. My surgeon explained the rocedure, but didn t say if it was done by microdiscectomy or traditional open discectomy surgery. I have about a 3 inch incision. Is there any way to know it it was a microdiscectomy or open discectomy by the incision size? Also I am still in alot of pain after 3 weeks post surgery. The pain is incisional pain and a deep horrible achiness where surgery was done. Is it normal to have this amount of pain after 3 weeks after surgery and how long should I expect this type of pain. I am still having to take 1-2 percocets every 4- 6 hours prn. It hurts to sit or walk over 10 minutes.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013