Wasp stings can cause generalized and/or local reaction due to its venom. Generalized reactions can be severe and death due to anaphylaxis
or envenomation has been reported. Local reaction can be as mild as swelling, urticaria
, blisters but can be severe as to cause necrosis
. Acute management includes treatment of shock and anaphylaxis. Local reaction includes careful removal of the sting, which may release more venom. It is interesting to note that bees leave behind the sting and not wasps. Wasp bites are more dangerous as they are known to sting repeatedly. Antihistamines should be administered to decrease the allergic reaction
and severe cases may need steroid. Delayed manifestations such as necrosis and gangrene require surgical debridement as it may predispose to spreading infection.