Is there any furthur treatment for spinal cord problem to avoid surgery, Please tell me

good morning doctor, my brother ,he is around 24 years working in software company for the past 11/2 year.In the starting 3 months of the job he suffered from back pain alot. he consulted nearby doctor he gave some medicines for temporary relief. now hecame to hyd and he has done all the x-rays and respective tests for back pain, fromthat all test and MRI scan finally doctor said that the problem is L5S1 disc is enlarged and that pressure is on the spinal nerve roots and also he has pain in the right leg, doctor preferred to go root canal treatment surgery something. Doctor is there any furthur treatment for this problem to avoid surgery.Please tell me doctor
Asked On : Sun, 16 May 2010