Is there a link between taking contraceptive pill and depression?

my 16 year old daughter has recently been put on Gedarel contraceptive pill . Other pills she has tried has made her depressed. we were told by our doctor that Gedarel was less likely to give her depression . She has now been taking the pill for approx 4 months and has felt fine up until now but last night she told me she felt very depressed and wanted to go on anti depressants. My daughter does not think that there is any link between this pill she is taking and her depression, i on the other hand think there must be a link. Other than this my daughter is a healthy 16 year old. Can you please help.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012
High levels of estrogen, as in first-generation COMBINED ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILL, and progestin, as in some progestin-only contraceptives, have been shown to promote the lowering of brain serotonin levels by increasing the concentration of a brain enzyme that reduces serotonin.
Low levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain, have been linked to depression.

However current evidence indicates low-dose combined oral contraceptives are unlikely to increase the risk of depression, and unlikely to worsen the condition in women that are currently depressed.
Conventional pill contains 30-50 mcg oestrogen where as newer drug like gedarel contains only 15-20 mcg oestrogen so chance of depression is very low.
However if still your daughter feel depressed she should start an anti-depressant(Escitalopram, sertaline etc.). It may be quite severe later.
Just consult a psychiatrist.