Is renal angiography safe in terms of its aftereffects and how frequently is it used to diagnose high BP ?

Hi friends. My dad is 65 yrs old. His BP is always on the higher end and he has been on BP medication since his late 30 s. His normal BP is around 150/100 and on certain days it goes way above that. His earlier doctors tried to change his medication but with no success. Lately, on consulting a cardiologists, the doctor suggested my dad to get renal angiography done since he thinks that there might be some renal artery issues. So, 1st thing: I am concerned about my dad s fear and doubts related to its after effects. Secondly, how safe is the procedure and how frequently do they use this procedure for diagnostic purpose. My dad doesnt have high cholesterol to suspect arteriosclerosis . Has anyone been through this situation. Please help! thank you
Asked On : Mon, 6 Jun 2011