Is medical abortion possible at the stage of 22 days pregnant ?

My wife is pregnant for 22 days . is medical abortion is possible at this stage
Asked On : Sat, 22 Jan 2011
please note , this is not 22 wks but this is actually 22 days . we have come to know that my wife is pregnant after the strip (pregnews) test found postive which we performed at home due to failure of proper mensuration bleeding on expected date of MC. I am calculating the days on the basis of intercourse done . we have also got the sonography done on the same day ( 21/01/2011) , but no GS seen . Our doctor say that medical abortion can be done only after the GS is seen in the uterus. so just wait and watch for some more days for medical ablrtion. it coluld be upto 4 weeks minimum.
I want the safe abortion on the earliest.
Is the medical abortion is possible before the GS seen ?
General & Family Physician Dr. Mamatha K T's  Response
Yes, you can undergo medical abortion at 22 days but a ultrasound scan is a must before the abortion as per the guidelines. You should rule out the ectopic pregnancy before undergoing this. So, best of luck.

Nephrologist Dr. P M. Sohal's  Response
u should consult a gynaecologist, as far as ur query please wait for a month aso at that time, drugs would be more effective best results are at 35-45 days.
hi
yes it is possible.
Mifepristone 600 mg orally on day one (D1), followed 48 hours later by Misoprostol 400 µg orally on day three with follow-up between Day 12-20. Success rate is 92% for pregnancy
but consult OBG specialist..
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi Pankaj,

Welcome to HCM.
It is absolutely necessary to confirm intrauterine pregnancy before considering medical termination of pregnancy. If the pregnancy is unfortunately outside the uterus it will create problems, even threatening the life of the lady.
Your obstetrician is 100 % correct in asking you to wait for 1 more week to confirm intrauterine pregnancy, because on ultrasound very early gestation may not be picked up.
waiting for one week will not create any problem in aborting.
Wish you all the best.