Is liposuction safe for thyroid patients ?

im over weight and thinking of liposuction i have thyroid and im 36 how safe is it
Asked On : Thu, 2 Jun 2011
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
hi
thanks for your query on healthcare magic
Liposuction is not an alternative to weight ruduction .If you want body contouring then it defintely is the right choice for you to reduce fat from specific areas such as abdomen , thigh , buttocks etc .
It you have thyroid what is it hyperthyroid or hypothyroid? Most probably you must be hypothyroid as its association with incresed weigh is more probable.The prerequisites for liposuction with hypothyroidism are that :
Your medications should be taking care of your thyroid values as per the latest reports.if not then you should consult a physician or an endocriniologist to take care of your status.nce reports are normal then Liposuction should be considered.Moreover the abdome thighs and buttiocks liposuction is taken care by spinal and epidural anesthesia and not General anesthesia so it should not be of much great a concern.But still the reports should value in normal range before considering liposuction.
I hope i have answered to all your queries .Kindly post again if you wish to ask any thing more
God bless
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla's  Response
Liposuction like any other major surgery has all the complications listed when you sign the consent form.
I don't think your thyroid issue will let you qualify for the same.
You need to treated for that adequately, before you can be 100% suitable.
It is advised that all medically treatable causes are ruled out before deeming you fit for liposuction.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.