Is it safe to get pregnant if you have a history of irregular, painful periods ?

I have had problems with my cycles since I ve had them. During high school I was exercising 6+ hours a day so was told it was normal to not have periods regularly given my level of activity but the the 3 or 4 times a year I did have them they were awful. As I gradually decreases my physical activity my cycles became more consistent but not any less painful. I ve passed-out and thrown-up and been unable to move for days because of pain (I was a ballet dancer and danced in wooden shoes on broken toes, so I m not a baby when it comes to pain). My periods lasted 6-8 days with lots of bleeding . At age 22 I went on birth control and more or less my cycles have been regular with the same duration and the pain has varied but never as bad as it used to be. I m now 29, married and would like to get pregnant . I went off birth control the beginning of January and have only just started my third period. The first time there were 36 days between and this time it was 49 days. The first was ok but I m on day two of this period and its getting bad. I guess what I want is advise. Is it smart to put my body through this? What are my chances of getting pregnant? Is there any natural type remedy that will make my cycles easier? etc. All the information you can give me would be helpful.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Apr 2011
welcome to healthcaremagic
if you have not consulted gynaecologist so far ,it is better you consult gynecologist and get a physical examination and some investigations to have proper management of your case
you are having chances of pregnancy if you have ovulation and patent tubes and partner with normal semen analysis report
hope your problems solved