Is it required to do surgery for spondylotic changes with thecal sac indentation?

Doctor my sister had back and leg pain and directed to take MRI. The report says cervical and dorsal spine shows spondylotic changes and disc desiccation and there is a mild compression of bilateral exiting nerve roots at the foraminal lever due to l.5 & 4 disc protrusion. In the cervical region at c.5 &c.6 level the.is a disc bulge with thecal sac indentation. all other things are normal. Local doctor suggested for surgery. Is it necessary and will it give permanent curation or is there is any other treatment which can cure this without surgery.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Mar 2014