Is it possible to store this blood till my child becomes big ?

I am pregnant, this is my first baby. I am seeeing a gynecologist. Last week i went for my routine check up. My gynecologist explined me that there is facility in their hospital that for storing of cord bleed during the delivery which can be later used for the child if it has any disease. I was totally surprised, is it possible to store this blood till my child becomes big ? Can this blood be used to treat the disease in the child ?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Sep 2009
yes it is one of the new technology where in the cord blood is stored and used to cure many diseases, this is new technology and as such research is going on in the field. the defnitive use is not yet clear as no hospital do use cord blood for treatment. as such no harm is there in storing the blood. so it can be stored now to seek any possible help if at all in future
its really good thatsuc advances are happening in medical history..lets hoe for some new technology like this to come
  Anonymous's Response

yes it is very helpful. they store the blood for something they call 'stem cells' which is said to be useful in treating any blood related diseases and few cancers if the child develops later in life.

Anonymous's Response

Yes, this is new conept that the cord blood is stored and then used in the later life for treating the various diseases. Hence it is very help ful in storing the cord blood. You can ask your doctor for the need full.

i didnt know that, can we store cord blood. thats great. then its good technolog, we can use this faciltiy for more prengnant women.