Is it normal to have irregular periods after a messy birth control pill cycle ?

I had sex about a month ago. I took a pregnancy test a week after having sex, and four days before my missed period, and it came out negative. The same day i took the pregnancy test, i started my period. I had messed up my birthcontrol for the month so i stopped taking it about halfway through the month. My period was very heavy and lasted a few days longer than it usually would when i wasn t taking my pills . It was about 8 days long and it finally ended. Yesterday, about a week after my period ended i started bleeding agian. I can t tell if it is spotting or another period. It is very heavy agian, the blood is bright red, and there are occasional clots. What does this mean, is it possible that i could still be pregnant even though i had a week long period, or is this normal because i messed up my birth control?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Nov 2010