Is it normal to have difficulty in passing urine post colonoscopy ?

Hi, I hope you can help with my question. I am female, 34 and had a colonoscopy this morning at 08.30 under sedation/painkillers due to a strong family history of colon cancer . Everything went without complications and fortunately nothing was found so a biopsy wasn t necessary. I feel ok and was able to be picked up at 10.00 am. My only problem is now that I do not seem to be able to urinate since the colonoscopy. I do have a strong urge to urinate (I have not been to the toilet since 6 am this morning) and feel the urine filling up my bladder as my stomach is starting to hurt a bit but as much as I try I am not able to urinate. I never had any problems with it before. Do I need to be concerned about that? Is it just a matter of time until everything is going back to normal? I could not find any information about it on the internet and my consultant did not mention anything that I might experience problems like that. Is that normal? I hope you can help. Thanks, Melanie
Asked On : Sat, 14 Apr 2012