Is it normal for a 19 year old girl to have frequent UTIs?

I have gotten a UTI apporximately two-three times a month for the past four years, not to mention randomly for my entire life. I have seen many doctors and most have said this is normal for a 19 year old girl. But recently they ve become worse and more frequent, so I ve taken a few trips to the ER where they have come up with a couple of guesses. What do you suppose I have?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Frequent UTI's almost always indicate the presence of some underlying condition. This will require thorough investigation and examination by a doctor. If the cause is not treated the UTI will recur. Instead of treating the UTI over and over again, remove the cause and thus the UTI will not recur.

It is not normal for an individual of any age group or sex to have frequent UTIs. An ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis will greatly help to rule out/diagnose causes.

Also treatment of the UTI with antibiotics that are susceptible to the infection-causing organism is very important.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
It seems that you are having chronic recurring UTI.
Go for Urine report done with Culture which will give organisms giving infection and medicines effective against these organisms.
After report go for long antibiotic medicine course accordingly.
Take plenty of water.
Keep local part neat, clean and healthy.
Ok and bye.