Is it normal for Microgestin to prevent period for 2 months ?

I have been on Microgestin 1/20 Fe BC for around a year now. This is the second month in a row I haven t had a period. I have this problem in the past and my doctor said its pretty normal but has changed my BC anyways. Both this month and last I ve had very, very slight spotting for less than a day and then nothing. Is it normal for my BC to pretty much rid me of my period like this?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012
The longer that you're on birth control pills the more likely it is that you will cease to have a period. It does not mean that the birth control pill is not effective. On the contrary it is working very well. The lining of the womb has become so thin that there is nothing to shed. In other words the progestin has won out over the estrogen. Many women actually like this as a side effect of taking oral contraceptives. You will have to take a stronger estrogen containing pill to avoid the side effect but I don't think there's any medical reason that you need to.