Is it necessary to go for surgery if the heart is receiving 90% blood ?

My brother aged 50, was admitted to a famous multispeciality hospital in coimbatore, for heart pain. He is a chain smoker. His heart has 95% blockage on both sides. And also the doctors detected his gal bladder totally damaged and removed through open surgery . Then he went through a thalium test. My brother say, after the test, the doctors claim that, his heart has 90 % blood circulation through an alternate vein, so a surgery is not needed and his heart blockage can be removed through medicines, and a bypass surgery is not needed. I need your opinion on that
Asked On : Thu, 14 Apr 2011