Is it necessary to consult a doctor before purchasing a ear machine?

Hello Doctor, I have a Query, Is it necessary to consult with a doctor before purchasing Earmachine. Or is it necessary that patient should meet first doctor before using earmachine. Actually I have to purchase it for my Grandfather. He is not here. He is in my native. So I wanted to purchase for him.He can not hear anything without earmachine. What kind of machine should I purchase for him. Please suggest.. Megha
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hello. it is very nice of you to purchase a machine for your grandfather, but he has to be seen by an ENT doctor and get a hearing testing done before a machine can be prescribed. otherwise it may not help him. thanks