Is it fine to give Macalvit syrup to 4 month child for 5 years?

My pediatrician suggested to give Macalvit calcium syrup for my 4 months old baby for the next 5yrs! Is it fine? coz 5yrs seems 2 b a long period & iam not very knee on giving any medicines 2 my baby, hes healthy n does not have any problem... shud i continue giving this syrup ? right now iam giving 1 tspn in the mrng & 1tspn in the night
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Pediatrician, Critical Care 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query here.

We all need Calcium and Vit D. Supplements in form of syrup or tablets are needed when our intake is low and there is extra need in the body.

Kids are growing very fast and hence if their intake is not enough, supplementation really helps them. However, I don't routinely give Calcium Syrup till 5 years of age. I generally tend to advise to take it for first year and then assess their intake.

Milk is very rich in Calcium. We get Vit D from exposure to sun, especially early hours of the morning.

I would give Syr Macalvit till end of first year. After that, his intake of Calcium needs to be reassessed and further supplements to be given accordingly.

I hope I have been able to resolve your query.

Dr Tejas Shah