Is it common to have a normal WBC count and test positive for strep ?

my 18month old had an appendectomy wed night after evaluating her at the er. Fever of 104.4, Urine normal, chest x-ray normal, strep negative, wbc count 15,000, abdominal ultrasound showing free fluid and enlarged appendix. They removed her appendix and found large lymph nodes. She was released from the hospital friday night. Begining friday night she again had fevers of 102-105. Again brought her to the ER Sunday fever at check in was 103. They did the full work up finding nothing wrong. WBC count normal, again negative urine, no absses in stomach, chest xray normal, didn t do a strep test because WBC count normal 6000. Took her to her pediatritian today (Monday) still 104 fever vomiting and she was strep positive. Is it normal to have a normal WBC count and have strep or is this something I should worry about?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Mar 2012