Is it advisable to take thyroid medicines from a private ayurvedic practitioner ?

Sir, my mother is suffering from thyroid for about 5yrs. We live in a remote village and a guy came to us yesterday saying that he heard about my mother s suffering and so he came with some medicine. He said that the medicine is from ernakulam and works perfectly. He said it should be used for 45 days by mixing it with honey and cashews. He said that after 45 days of continuous usage my mother would become very weak and so to avoid that situation he prescribes some private medicine(for iron and strength and costs about 5000/-). He also assured us that my mother would lose her weight from 105 kgs to 60kgs in these 45 days. He also said that we need to buy only these private medicine for strength in this period and can pay his fee(for ernakulam ayurvedic medicine) after seeing the result. He also assured us that she won t encounter with thyroid for about 20yrs from now(she is 37 now). Is this possible? If possible, will there be any side effects? Can we believe in this man? Please answer this doc........ Thank you in advance............
Asked On : Fri, 1 Apr 2011