Is it advisable to start insulin directly instead of tablets ?

Dear Sir, I am 45 years male. I am diabetic for the last 5 years and my mother and sister also have diabetes . I am taking tablets that is volix 0.2mg, janumet 500mg in the morning and citapin xt 500mg in the night. when ever I have checked my sugar levels its under control/border levels[ fasting 105 and post parandial 150. Recently one of relatives died as his sugar was high and had kidneys damaged over a period of time I have two questions; 1. we check sugar levels only a periodic intervals, are there possibilities that the sugar could go high during the tablets being taken between morning and night dose, how do we know or what are the symptoms and can this small surge cause damage to any internal part ? 2. Is it advisable to start insulin directly instead of tablets, if yes, what would be its side effect?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Feb 2011