Is hemorrhoids, cyst or boil ?

i am a female. how do you tell if it s a hemorrhoid, a boil or cyst?
Asked On : Sun, 25 Sep 2011
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to HCM.
Hemorrhoid is distended veins at the opening of the anus and will appear as a mass jutting out of the anus, where as boil will be very painful yellowish in colour. Cyst is a clear fluid filled swelling.
Hemorrhoid tends to bleed and swell during defecation.
The difference is best left to a doctor to decide, who is trained to differentiate between all these.
Wish you all the best
General & Family Physician Dr. Yogesh D's  Response
Hi Rachel

Thank you again for getting back to us.

A hemorrhoid is generally painless, and it increases in size while you pass stools and it is reducible(the size reduces if you squeeze it).

A hemorrhoid is always from the anus, it can be painful if it is infected or thrombosed. Cysts and boils do not form at the anal opening. A boil is always painful and it means it is infected and it never occurs at anal opening. A cyst is a collection of some fluid and quite often it is also painless.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.

Feel free to ask any question.