Is gastric bypass a healthy option for a type 1 diabetic overweight teenager ?

Is gastric bypass a healthy option for a type 1 diabetic, overweight teenager? I am 17, and i am 6 5, and i weigh 320 lbs. I played football this last year and it was tough due to my being out of shape and i want/need to lose weight . I worked out all winter and played baseball in the spring but i just cant seem to take and/or keep any weight off!! I am taking rediculous amounts of insulin just to keep my blood sugars OK but this is going to kill me if it keeps going on like this. All i need to know is if gastric bypass is a viable option for a type 1 diabetic? and if it isnt then what should i try?? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009