Is diabetes hereditary and what measure can be taken to avoid getting it ?

Does a Family history of diabetes make me more susceptible to the disease? Thank you for answering my question. I was 12 lbs. 12 1/4 oz. when I was born. I was a month early as a result. I have had hearing difficulties my entire life due to improperly formed middle-ear chains which were corrected through surgery . Could this have been a result of the early delivery by C-Section due to the macrosomia? I was actually always underweight as a result of the hypothyroidism being controlled by synthroid from an early age. I am 5 8 tall and only weigh 121 lbs now, which is actually less than what I weighed in High School. I was 129 lbs then and my highest weight was 174 lbs from November 2005 through February 2006. I was on heavy duty pain killers at the time for two disintegrating discs in my lower back. I have been off of the pain killers since December of last year and am doing better without them than I was when I was on them. My weight had been fluctuating from 136-146 when I was on them but now I barely break the 120 mark and have a hard time keeping the weight on. I eat and eat and eat but my weight stays the same. I eat healthy foods and have been walking daily. Also, I have heard that diabetes skips a generation but I was wondering if because my mother is diabetic if I am more susceptible to it later in life? I had 2 cousins who are diabetic but one of them passed away in November 2005 at the age of 36. We think that complications from the diabetes played a role but we are not 100% certain.
Asked On : Sun, 1 May 2011