Is constipation harmful during pregnancy ?

is constipation harmful in pregnancy ?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Feb 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query
Constipation as such is not harmful but straining to defecate can be harmful as it might increase the intra amniotic pressure to some extent, I suggest you eat more vegetables. Try lactulose 15ml at night and warm water
Have a healthy living
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Packriswamy Sambangi's  Response
Hi , Shivani,
Most of the pregnant ladies suffering from constipation. It is not harmful in pregnancy.
Causes of constipation are , low fibre diet, low intake of fluids, weak abdominal muscles and high intake of refined foods.
So ,Eat high fibre contant green vegetables, young greens and plenty of water everyday.
I also suggest, take 100 ml milk ,add 200 ml water and 6 petals of garlic in it.Boil the mixture and reduce it at 50 ml. Drink the mix at night every.
Take senna powder 10 grams add with warm water everyday.
Orange juice when taken empty stomach in the morning would be favorable result .