Is cap skin o2 the right medicine for diffuse alopecia ?

I am facing diffuse alopecia for the last one and a half years. Is cap skin o2 the right medicine?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Jul 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
There could be many reasons for diffuse alopaecia. There are various treatment options available according to the pathology. Your Dermatologist can recommend Minoxidil lotion, and hair transplant which is very promising. Kindly consult with a Dermatologist in this regard. Eat hea;thy, drink plenty of water.
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,

In females the most common cause of hair loss is –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial ,or use of chemical on scalp ,procedures like perming or straightening etc. Other rare causes are zn & copper def.
Cause of diffuse hair loss is usually thyroid problem and iron deficiency in indian females.
One has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat. In females there are various patterns of hair loss,which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist.

In any case you should get your hormonal level also checked along with an ultra sound if necessary to rule out PCOD.In such cases we also see weight gain along with irregular periods,acne and facial hair.So please check out for these also.Get a T3 ,T4,TSH also done to rule out any thyroid cause.
Other simple test which we do are hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there.

After proper diagnosis you can start with topical preparations like Minoxidil 2%-5% applied twice daily on scalp along with tab biotin one daily.Zinc and copper are also very help full.Other hormonal medicines are also available if needed. These medicines need to be continued for long ,so kindly consult a dermatologist for proper prescription.We also have lasers for hair gain and mesotherapy injection for those needed.

Improve your diet with green leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts ,pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers ,more of milk & ghee, dry fruits . Good sleep also has a important role to play .You can check out my website for other details

Take care,

Dr.Bharat Chawda