Is butalin good cough syrup for children? Any side effect?

Hi doctor, Wanted to know whether butalin is a good cough syrup for kids? My son is 3 n a half years old. He had cough for few days so doctor said to give him rhithaniol n butalin. Is it safe .I gave him two days the medicines but still he has cough. Does butalin has any side effects. Now I am afraid whether it will affect my son in any way. Please help me. My email YYYY@YYYY . please answer. Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Did your child have history of frequent cough and colds?You also didnot mention whether your child had any history of wheeze or not. Your doctor must found ronchi on auscultation of chest . Butalin contains albuterol which is a short acting bronchodilator which will help in releiving bronchospasm.But if your child has asthma, it will not help in long term. Your son need to inhale budecort MDI through face mask twice daily. Butalin may lead to tremor, tachycardia(increased heart rate, hypokalemia( decreased potassium),abnormal glucose tolerance. But occurence of this side effects are not so common. It is more important from you side worry about the symptoms rather than to worry abot the side effects. Please consult a pulmonologist or paediatrician for correct diagnosis. It is difficult to give a definite management without seeing your child . Hope, I answered your queries.

2 users find this helpful