Is breathing cleaner for mr nose harmful ?

My 8 year old nephew went to the dentist yesterday, he had mr nose on for about 2 minutes before he was brave enough to tell some one that it was burning his nose every time he breathed in, before you know it they had realized he was breathing in the cleaner for mr nose NOT mr nose gas!!!! I sthis harmful? What should we do?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding nasal obstruction and prolong use of decongestant drop by your nephew.

Here I would like to say that prolong use of these decongestants will give rise to Rhinitis Medicamentosa. Therefore prolong use of these should always be avoided and you should consult your ENT doctor to examine your nephew ad find out the cause of nasal obstruction and treat them accordingly.