Is Vitiligo a hereditary skin disease?

Is Vitiligo a hereditary skin disease?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Apr 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Hi Pankaj,

Vitiligo is chronic skin condition also termed as hereditary skin disease but the causes are still unknown so nobody can exactly say about it. But still many cures are available on internet. UV and herbal treatments are most popular though.

Check this website for vitiligo cure and read the blog
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurang Krishna's  Response
Hello Pankaj,
It can not be said with authority if vitiligo is a hereditary disease or not as we have still not found the gene causing it. But many studies worldwide have shown significant family clustering, indicating that there is a some hereditary factor. if you ask the risk, if one parent is affected then chances are 9% if both parents are affected then chances are 20%

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Fatima Clinic's  Response
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
Vitiligo is not considered as hereditary disease but we have seen so many cases where it is found in more than two patients of a same family.There are so many causes mentioned in medical text books.
Thank you
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,
Vitiligo is a autoimmune disorder.It is not considered as a hereditary disease.It can be associated with other autoimmune conditions like thyroid disorder etc.