Is PCR the most effective test for HIV ?

is PCR THE MOST effective test for hiv.do i have to repeat it
Asked On : Tue, 30 Aug 2011
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
DEAR PRIYA
PCR IS THE BEST WAY OR POLYMERASE CHAIN REACTION OR TO GROW VIRUS NUCLEIC ACID FROM VERY LITTLE AMOUNT IS THE TEST IN INITIAL PERIOD DNA PCR AND LATER RNA PCR IS THE TEST TO DETECT HIV
Cardiologist Dr. Naresh Ruparelia's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Yes it is most sensitive test. But better to repeat it if done in window period.
2 to 6mths after exposure to hiv test may not be positive calld window period.
Thanks
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
yes PCR is most effective but costly
first tridot test is for screening
if you can afford then go for pcr because it is costly
take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Hi welcome to Healthcaremagic

Hi.., on exposure to Infection, the first antibodies will appear in the blood, which will be dtetected by Tridot card test, it is a screening test,.. if it is negative, then no need to do again, or else you can go for ELISA also.... But any test you do, you must repeat it after 6 months to completely rule out the infection... PCR is bit costly.. but test is very specific and sensitive also, hence can detect even very small dose of infection,..
Hope I have answered your question..

Takecare...

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.