Is Mitral Valve Prolapse deadly?

luckily i had to serve for my National services.. if not i didnt know that i had this disease ... i had it since about 9 months ago.. i didnt consult any doctor after my check-up yet and i m not on medications.. is there any cure to it?.. what will happen to me in 10 years time?..
Asked On : Sat, 12 Dec 2009
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3% of the entire U.S. population has mitral valve prolapse. It is a "non disease" in that it is asymptomatic for the vast majority of people and it generally requires no specific treatment or change in lifestyle. You should have an echocardiogram (ultrasound) every few years to keep an eye on it. MVP can develop into having the mitral valve not closing correctly, causing leaking. Trivial leaking is not a concern. If it is severe, however, it is an issue that needs addressed. The degree of leaking will dictate how closely the condition will need to be watched. One of the issues with a leaking valve is to use antibiotics with dental procedures and certain other medical procedures...your doctor will advise you about this matter. There is no cure per se but if you are asymptomatic, require no treatment, and likely will remain that way, why worry about it? Is there anything you should do? Keep your blood pressure well controlled; if you think you might have sleep apnea, get evaluated for it, and treat it, if warranted; finally, remain physically active - you are limited only by your own degree of fitness. Other than that, there are no medications or therapies required. Good luck.