Irritation in the vagina. Had taken emergency pill. Reason?

Hi. About 5-6 months ago I have taken the emergency pill and since then after the middle of my menstrual cycle I experience an irritation around my vagina and labias. No unusual odors of discharge occur. Only the irritation. The inside of my vagina is irritated to and intercourse is painful. The irritation goes away after my period and comes back during the middle of my cycle. Please help me. I don t know what to do =/
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

Vaginal irritation intermittently or continuously is a symptom of vaginitis. It does cause uncomfortable sexual intercourse. Usually the vaginitis can be due to :

1. Fungal infection: The commonest causative organism is Candida or Monalia. The discharge is white flaky and causes immense itching. It can be treated by antifungal local application. Use of Lactobacilli perineal wash will help regain the vaginal normal pH and flora and prevent recurrence.

2. Trichomona infection: The discharge is greenish white with froth. It also leads to substantial itching and terminal burning urination. This can be effectively treated by Metronidazole.

3. Bacterial vaginosis: The discharge is mucoid. It causes irritation of vagina. It can be treated by a course of suitable antibiotics - usually doxycycline.

All these types of infections can get transmitted sexually. Hence, it is advisable to have simultaneous treatment to both the partners simultaneously and observe absolute sexual abstinence till both the partners are declared completely cured.

These infections get temporarily washed off during menses by the menstrual flow to grow again after some days.

Following the given instructions by both the partners will help avoidance of the recurrence:

1. Shave private parts clean.

2. Clip the nails short.

3. Boil underwear daily.

4. Use panty liners (for you).

Please report to your Gynaecologist.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine Dr. Deepti Verma's  Response
Mar 2015
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Irritation or infection in the vagina is not a side effect of the i pill. It can be due to vaginal infection. I suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined, investigated and treated accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma