Irritated left eye, red corner, green discharge on corner. Taking polysporin eye drops. Reason?

For a few days my left eye has been irritated. The corner and rims has been quite red but not the actual whites of the eye. Eventually my eye became itchy, and rims / corner were irritated but the whites still not bloodshot. There is a buildup of green discharge in the corner of the eye every few hours. I began taking polysporin eye drops to try to clear it up but it seems as if they are making it worse. As soon as I put the drops in my eye becomes instantly bloodshot and itchy. Is there something else I can use for relief? And what kind of infection does this sound like?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Oct 2013